i'm pretty sure lou's heart grows 3 sizes (a la the grinch who stole christmas) when he dips his tortilla chips into this tasty soup. and it fits my requirements: easy, healthy, delicious. oh, and black beans are super high in antioxidants so eating this soup is pretty much like slapping cancer in the face or poking heart disease in the eye. that's science my friends and you read it here first. you're very welcome. xx- sarah
(recipe after the jump)
2 cups dried black beans
1 medium yellow onion
4 garlic cloves
2 tablespoons olive oil
3 tablespoons cumin
1/4-1 tsp cayenne pepper *edit: start with a pinch and add according to your tastes
1/4 tsp cinnamon
cilantro & red onion to garnish (optional)
-sort through beans discarding weird ones, rinse, and then soak overnight in a large bowl with plenty of water
- chop onion and carrots into small cubes and mince garlic
- in a dutch over or other large pot heat olive oil over low heat and add onions
- sauté onions for two minutes and then add garlic and sauté for another 2 minutes
- add cumin, cayenne (more or less depending on how spicy you like things- i always start with less and add more later on once i can taste it), cinnamon and carrots. sauté another two minutes or until onions are soft and the seasonings are fragrant
-add (drained) black beans and then add water until it's about 1/2 inch above the beans
- bring to a boil and then lower heat to medium/low. cover and simmer for 30 minutes (check in and stir once- add water if necessary)
- remove cover and cook an additional 30 minutes or until beans are soft.
- add salt to taste and now is the time to add more cayenne if you think it needs a bit more kick!
- pour 1/2 - 3/4 of soup into a blender and puree to a consistency you like. combine with the rest of the soup and serve with chopped red onion and cilantro. we eat ours with tortilla chips and hot sauce. we're wild like that. enjoy!