chocolate and i are like bella and edward- meant to be, but constantly facing obstacles in our love affair. and yes, that was a twilight reference for the three of you that have been strong enough to resist the series (HOW?!). the obstacle is this: chocolate is always teaming up with my frenemies dairy and sugar. but not here my pals, here it teams up with my BFF'S avocado and coconut milk to make a completely healthy and amazingly rich dessert! i bow down in reverence to this sweet treat, after i've devoured it like i'm on day 38 of survivor, of course. please, please make this. it's easy. it's healthy. it's amazing. DO IT! recipe and more after the jump.
3 ripe avocados
3 tablespoons cocoa powder (unsweetened and get the good stuff!)
2 oz of 70% dark chocolate (again, splurge on the good stuff it's totally worth it!)
1 can full fat coconut milk, refrigerated over night
3 tablespoons maple syrup
1/4 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons raw honey
chopped peanuts to garnish (or go wild with sprinkles, get sophisticated with a sprig on mint, etc)
for the pudding:
- place the flesh of three rip avocados in your food processor and blend until completely smooth
- in a double boiler or homemade double boiler (one sauce pan placed in another that has a couple of inches of water in it) melt the chocolate
- add melted chocolate, cocoa powder, maple syrup, sea salt, one tablespoon of raw honey and 3 tablespoons of the cream at the top of your can of coconut milk (the solid goodness, not the liquid below it!) to your avocado and blend.
- taste and adjust to your liking with more honey to sweeten it or a little more salt
- scoop into 3 jelly jars and refrigerate while you make the coconut whipped cream
for the coconut whipped cream:
- in a small mixing bowl combine the remaining cream from the can (again, just the solid part!) with 1 tablespoon of raw honey.
- use a hand mixer to beat until it takes on the consistency of whipped cream (it happens fast!)
- scoop into the tops of the jelly jars and garnish with the chopped peanuts